12.21.2008

It is the Little Things that Bring us the Greatest JOY!

Isn't this card so cute. It reminded me of my dear Aunt Marion. She passed away several years ago. Every Christmas, I would receive a card from her with a mouse on it. I didn't know how she would find them year after year. It is funny how even now, when I see a mouse I think of her. She was such a fun Aunt. She would take me to the movies-the awful teen movies and acted like she loved them. I remember going to see The Village People with her. She was an amazing sewer. My mom and her stayed up all night to reupholster a chair and when my dad was sick, she was the one who came to stay with me. I was lucky to have her in my life.
Here is another memory. My letter from Santa dated Christmas Morn, 1978. It was typed on a typewriter from the North Pole and it talked about how I sassed my family. Every Christmas, I hated to read what I was doing wrong in the Santa letter. Finally, the letters stopped...thank goodness.
A little thing-
I created this house in a class taught by Charlotte Lyons. She is just amazing. She gave us the pattern and paper and we went to town. I decided on using fabric to cover my paper box and house. Ali helped me get the project done. She would hold the house so it could dry and I would work on another part. I am lucky to have such sweet friends. I am a pink and green girl so this little house will stay up all year long in my studio.
Meet Marion the Mouse...yes, she was named after my dear Aunt. She lives in my studio and is quite nice and doesn't shred paper or leave droppings like real mice do. She sits very properly in her "Made in England" tea cup. Charlotte Lyons made this darling mouse and her sister and brothers are for sale on her blog.
http://www.housewrenstudio.typepad.com/




I had to share this book with you. It is called Trimmings! I bought it last year at Michael's Craft Store. It is beautifully photographed and full of fantastic craft ideas. The patterns are included. I pull it out and always see something new to create. Here is a preview of what is inside. The house reminds me of the one I made with Charlotte.
Enjoy the little things this holiday.... Season's Greetings!

16 comments:

ScrapAddict said...

Wonderful memories! I have very find memories of my dear Grandmother. She was an artsy craftsy person...probably where I got it. She sewed, knitted, crocheted, did ceramics, collected antiques, had a garden and canned everything lol! Best Wishes for a Wonderful Christmas! :-)

Malissa said...

The letter is too cute. I tried to read some of it, but it was too small on my screen. Glad Santa didn't list out my naughties on Christmas morning!
The box looks like it was such a fun project. I would love to take fun classes like that!

Leah C said...

What a sweet tribute to your Aunt...the lil' mouse is adorable! And I just love the pretty pink & green house, too:) Have a happy holiday!

Sheila Rumney said...

Just love your mouse... so very cute and what a way to always remember your sweet Aunt.

Have a great Holiday!

Unknown said...

You had such a cool Aunt! Did you get the letter from the post office or was it typed by your parents? Happy Holidays dear friend!

Sandy xox

Unknown said...

You had such a cool Aunt! Did you get the letter from the post office or was it typed by your parents? Happy Holidays dear friend!

Sandy xox

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, I love your house!! You did an awesome job! I also like the mouse card by Marjorie B. and used to have a teapot (was terribly upset when I dropped it). Merry Christmas.

Jessi Nagy said...

Hey sweets,

darling decorations.

Merry Christmas.
Have a fabulous holiday season!!

oxoxxoxo,
jessi

Stacy Cohen said...

I love your little house! It's adorable!!!!

Christina said...

What a sweet story about your Aunt. Adorable house and such a sweet mouse!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful memories, beautiful house. Merry Christmas to you and yours. God Bless.

Loreluca said...

oh, my goodness, Kara, I just LOVE your creations!!! I loved that little house! And the mouse is just adorable

HeatherH said...

What wonderful memories - and the mouse is irresistably cute!!

Unknown said...

Hi Kara! I've been enjoying your blog so much...so full of sweet things! I just saw an incredible papercrafted Madeline crown that you made. Wow! It's so exciting to see what you're doing. You have an amazing talent. I hope to see you soon! xox Brenda

Melanie said...

Kara! Your blog is soooo beautiful! I love all of the new pretties you've added recently! You've turned into a real whiz at the Banners and all of the blog-extras you have here! SOOOO PRETTY!

HeatherH said...

Oooh ahhh - it is all so Silver Bella style - I loooove it! Makes me wish I would have painted my studio pink instead of red :-) Boy - the kids are sure getting big - but still have the same gorgeous smiles :-)