3.20.2011

DC-Day 2

We hit the ground running on our second day of travel--
The Smithsonian Museums were calling our name.

Our first stop was the Museum of American History

Here are a few of the highlights!
  • Julia Child's Kitchen-I love how her husband drew on the pegboard where to place the pot back in it's spot.
  • All the First Ladies of the White House dresses.  I couldn't take pictures because I couldn't stop looking at each one.  There was a film playing in the background interviewing many of the First Ladies and how they felt donating their gowns to the Smithsonian.  It was really something to see.
  • The Star Spangle Banner Flag...no pictures allowed of it!  All I could say was WOW!
  • Abraham Lincoln's Hat worn the night he was assassinated at the theater.
  • And many more...from Michael Jackson's Hat to Kermit the Frog.
This place was full of surprises for me. 
I thought I was going to be bored!
Boy, was I wrong.












































Day 2:
Second Smithsonian Museum
Natural History
( I went here in November with just Shane-
we had fun showing it to the kids)

  • Hello Dum-dum from the movie "Night at the Museum 2".
  • The center of the museum...the elephant
  • We happened to be at the museum while the orchids were on display.  I took hundreds of photos and can I just say it, smelled like heaven in there.
  • The Hope diamond worn by a dog!  I love it!
  • Earrings worn by Marie Antoinette
  • The earthquakes as the aftershocks were occurring in Japan.
  • The great yarn sea...Little Miss H was in love with it too!

































Are you exhausted yet?
One more museum to see today...
Air and Space Museum.

I was just worn out by now--
I am not sure I appreciated how cool this place was because I had seen too much.
My brain was done processing.

If you like planes and rockets then you will love this place.
  • I saw the actual Spirit of St. Louis Plane
  • Amelia Earhart's plane and goggles.
  • The Wright Brother's plane and bicycle.
  • Lots of space stuff








































You thought you were done...
Ha, now for the 8 block hike to the hotel.

Let's take a little detour.
Do you see why?
Ford's Theatre on the right.
I wanted to see where Abraham Lincoln was assassinated.





2 comments:

Caleen said...

What an exciting trip you had. So many exciting places you visited. Loved it all. Thanks for sharing. Have a great week.

Unknown said...

OMG I would have killed to see Julia's kitchen! I just love the latest movie about her!

Sandy xox