10.04.2007

Don't Fly Delta...

After returning from a 10 day European Cruise, I still had no luggage. The last time I saw my luggage was at KCI airport on September 14. I was suppose to fly to Atlanta and then onto Spain. Atlanta was having some weather issues on the 14Th and made it so our connection time would be only 30 minutes. My husband argued with the Delta Represented here in KC and she refused to re-route us. Atlanta is a large airport. You take a train to the gates. We would land in A and take the train to E. The lovely Delta Representative said all flight out of Atlanta were delayed so we would be fine. Our plane was loaded in KC and we kept wondering why we weren't boarding it. Finally, a different Delta Representative came on the microphone and said we would begin the boarding process soon, but we are waiting on the airline stewardess to board. Meanwhile, the representative went on to say that all flights leaving Atlanta are delayed due to weather. This message also was flashed on the screen above the boarding area. She said if any of us would have trouble connecting in Atlanta she would call us up to the counter. Until all 3 airline stewardess are on the plane we can not begin the boarding process. Delta then began paging the airline stewardess. Approximately 20 minutes later she arrived without in baggage. Who knows what she was doing. We missed our flight to Spain by 6 minutes ( our flight to Spain was not delayed...it left on time) and waited in line 4 hours in Atlanta to speak with a Delta Representative. Day 1 of our Cruise...gone. Delta so kindly, refused to get our luggage and then sent us on a wild goose chase. We flew the next day to New York from Atlanta. We flew into LaGuardia. Then, took a cab to JFK International and flew onto France. I forgot to mention by now there are 10 of us on the same cruise in the same situation...all 10 missed our flight to Spain from Kansas City. All 10 of us are without our luggage which is approximately 30 bags. Delta so kindly put us on a flight to Nice, France in the middle seat. Those of you who have flown International know how terrible the middle seat is. We were all separated from who we were traveling with. I sat in between to men. Lovely. After an 8 hour flight to France, all 10 of us had no luggage to board the cruise boat with. Great...We called Delta every day. Delta gave us a different answer each time we called. One day, I decided to call 2 times with in 15 minutes of each call. One Delta Representative said my bags were in Atlanta another said they were in Rome. Delta did not know where my bags were. I survived a 10 day cruise with 2 outfits...no tennis shoes and 1 swim suit. I did not get to go to any of the ship's Captain dinners nor enjoy any of the cool rock walls, skating, etc. I walked the street of the ancient cities in high heels. Delta did absolutely nothing to help in the situation. Flying home was no better on Delta. We left Spain and headed to Atlanta. We boarded the plane early and the pilot thought we could take off early. He did not have permission from the control tower. We sat on the tar mat for 1 hour and 30 minutes. This is a 10 hour flight. By now, my head was spinning. Shane and I received a little sticker on our chairs saying we could have all the free drinks we wanted. Oh, goody. You thought the story was over...oh, no we still have to fly Delta to KC. Some lovely Delta employee, didn't shut the door properly on the aircraft. We hit 10,000 feet and the pilot said we would have to go back to Atlanta....a strap is hanging out of the door and he is afraid that it will go into the engine. In Atlanta we had to wait for the ground crew to take care of the strap issue and we had to re-fuel. Finally home....still no luggage. On October 4, I received a phone call at 6:00 AM. It was a someone that had one of my polka dotted bags. It had been delivered to their home. My luggage tag had my name address and phone number. I went to check my front door and my other bag was there along with a stranger's bag. Unbelievable. I picked up my bag from the person that called and delivered the other bag. My zippers were broke off the bags and 8 bracelets stolen. This is why I strongly think you have choices in air travel and Delta would be my very last choice. Every aspect of my trip was ruined by Delta. They offered me $125 for going with out my bags for 10 days. I still do not have the check. Delta destroyed a dream vacation. I was just too depressed to blog. I am much better today having some of my stuff helps a lot.



Here are a couple of photos of the French Riviera....it is really that beautiful. We didn't arrive in France until noon and didn't get on our Cruise ship until 2:00. That left us 4 hours to see the city. We missed our excursions. I really don't like Delta.






I am so glad to be home....

Here is a little Christmas something...something....



I have to stop posting and write Delta my claim on my missing jewelry. Fun, fun. Kara

4 comments:

Micki said...

Oh Kara!!!! I am SO sorry that this happened! I would be calling Delta corporate offices and hollaring at them every day until they made this right. They owe you for the items your had to buy while your luggage was gone, the items stolen, the damage and replacement of your luggage and and monies you lost for events you paid for and were unable to attend. I truly hope that you get this settled. I would not let this slide. Best of luck in getting this resolved!!!!

Melanie said...

Yikes! What a nightmare!! If it had all happened on a less important or special trip it might have been easier to swallow, but not a trip of a life time! So sorry! I'm very glad you are back to Studio Pink though! Jessica and Tracey's birthdays lasted waaaaaaaaay too long!! LOL!
Love the photos tou shared from your tip. Very cool. And you Christmas layout is adorable!

Melanie

Anonymous said...

What a disaster! I am so sorry that happened to you. Love the pics and the layout!

Jessica said...

i was wondering about you... i agree Mine & Tracey's birthday lasted a little to long. I thought that maybe Delta had also misplaced you. ;) Miss you and glad your are home and you can continue your craziness... in KC. j/k

love you!